Monday, June 1, 2020

A HENHOUSE AND RUN



The block my house sits on is quite large - there is quite a big area down the back that has been terraced flat, with old sheds, pergolas and a HUGE brick barbecue. Of course, like everything else it is wildly overgrown and weedy, but it had to wait its turn for a look-in while I dealt with more urgent projects.
The opportunity arose to give a home to a small flock of chickens when the owners (my son and daughter-in-law) had to relocate to the other end of the state for work.
That precipitated work starting on this back garden wilderness, because I needed to house the chickens safely - I'd had it in the back of my mind that a couple of old aviaries down there could easily be converted into a chicken house. So that's what I went ahead and did over three days.
The old aviaries were fortunately very soundly built, so they only really needed cleaning out and the addition of roosts and nesting boxes. Then it was a matter of clearing away weeds and growth to put in the run using star droppers and heavy duty chicken wire, with a treated pine fence post at the corner. 

Getting this all done has prompted me into really getting stuck into taming the jungle - lots of growth to remove, a couple of trees need to be gone, some of the sheds are redundant and will be dismantled, there is tattered shadecloth that needs removing and once all this is done, I can plan I rather lovely outdoor cooking and dining area. I think it will take me until summer to get it done, doing a bit on most days. There is a lot of concrete, but I think I can incorporate it into the design, by using potted plants and paving. 

And that barbecue...…...I don't think I'd use it much as it is, but a pizza oven - that's a different proposition altogether! I think I'd like to remove the barbecue and build a pizza oven on its concrete plinth. I've been reading up about pizza oven and I think it is something I could manage. I can almost picture it now...….hanging out down there with some good friends, cold white wine, shady spot with comfortable seating and home-made pizza cooking away in the oven! That's a promise to myself for six months down the track.

I had been dreading this job, but now I'm kind of looking forward to it...…….how do you eat an elephant? One small bite at a time!









No comments:

Post a Comment