Thursday, July 6, 2017

Beginning The Living Room

Well...........I recently realized that two months have slipped quietly by since I last posted here - I haven't been idle since finishing the bathroom (..........and HOW much am I enjoying it?) I've simply been busy doing other things, mainly getting my online business back on track after some serious neglect.

I needed a break after the bathroom effort, but I have been surreptitiously sneaking up on the living room renovation. The biggest job in this room will be stripping back, repairing and repainting the huge window. I've already prepared the corner one - its now ready for painting. The rest of the room just basically needs a clean and a re-paint and I'm going to tackle making a set of roman blinds for said huge window.

The room has a fireplace with a built-in Saxon wood-heater in excellent working condition, but some previous owner had slathered a thick, textured coat of white emulsion over the bricks and mantelpiece. A combination of stripper and chipping and scraping got most of it off the bricks, but it was looking like a much harder job on the mantel itself, so I opted for a trompe l'oeil stone look, which I think looks pretty good! 


Here's the fireplace before and during the process of cleaning it up.


..........and a couple of close-ups of the finished mantel.

                                                             Here's how it looks now

I bought this 70 year old two-seater couch recently. I'm planning to refurbish it in the summer, along with a few other pieces of vintage furniture I have. This couch is still as solid as a rock - I love it!



The cats approve of the new couch.......separately! They still only just rub along together.
Now I'm just waiting for that painting urge to hit again so I can finish this room completely........I can feel it coming! 

 

 



 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Great job on the fireplace, it looks so warm and inviting. The couch will come up a treat with your Susie magic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathran - I can't wait to start doing it, but I'll wait for some warmer outdoor weather. Doesn't stop me looking for fabric, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will be like a kid in a lolly shop. Foamland on Invermay Road have a good selection and all the other upholstery stuff much cheaper than spotlight. I'm hoping to do my collection of bridge chairs when it's a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete